Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I ♥ Joel Salatin.


Are you familiar with this lovely man

If you've read any of Michael Pollan's books or seen the film Food Inc. or Fresh, or watched this video clip on the Chipotle web page than you sure are.

He's a self-described "Christian-libertarian-environmentalist-capitalist-lunatic-Farmer" while the NYTimes refers to him as a High Priest of the Pasture and that he "may well be Virginia's most multifaceted agrarian since Thomas Jefferson."

I heart him so because the man has a genuine passion for what he is doing and the ways words roll off his tongue make me smile (and think).

All term long I've been talking to the peeps that show up to my class week after week if it matters where our food comes from. 

Does it matter, where our food comes from?

Thanksgiving is here and we're about to eat a bunch of food that came from somewhere. 
 Should we know where that somewhere is? 
And if that place is somewhere we want to support?

I spent a fortune on my heirloom organic turkey (I hear because it hasn't been bred to have massive breasts there will be quite a bit more dark meat) this year. 


I showed my class this video today from PBS
After watching it 3 times now it's disheartening to realize very little has changed (in the way of food policy, food security, food safety, etc.) since our current Administration took over a few years ago.

It's just not going to happen at that level.
(Avarice. So lame.)

We must vote with our fork.

 I hope you do.
Joel Salatin and like-minded farmers gives us an option and I'm so thankful for that.


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: