Saturday, April 14, 2012

don't forget the love...



Anything I know about anything pop-culturish these days comes from NPR.

And that is where I found the link to the Bon Iver session.
This is my favorite form of music these days. 
Pared down.
It's beautiful, if you have the time, give it a listen.

Anyway, when he covers Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make You Love Me tune, naturally, I was reminded of her original version of the song:


Which reminded me of this movie (Maria Bello covers it in the film).

Which I watched at her house (♥).

Which made me think of these.

And these.

And, really, just food in general.

Yes, I got from Bon Iver to food in like four thoughts.
I think about food a lot. 

I'm reading this (fantastic) book realizing how much there is to make and enjoy and how little time there is (it doesn't help that I make bean and cheese quesadillas very regularly when I could be whipping up a ratatouille sandwich and shaved celery salad w/ bleu cheese toast. Both are pared down but one definitely has an interest factor the other is lacking). 

But here are a few sweets that we've created recently:




Raspberry Coconut Macaroons from Smitten Kitchen.
If you decide to give them a go (and you should) follow Deb's advice and don't mix the coconut and raspberries completely together.
I accidentally pushed "on" instead of "pulse" and the mixing got away from me. I liked the ones that were more half coconut, half raspberry.
I also think they need about a minute or two more cooking time than suggested (though that could be my oven).




This was a cake I made for the teachers @ Maya's school.
Awhile back I saw one of these mini buntings on some blog I like and tucked the idea into the back of my mind.
I whipped it together in the midst of making breakfast, lunch and corralling two kids out the door on a school/work morning (the bunting, not the cake...the cake I made the night before).



Ham it up sister!

Anyway, as I've mentioned before, OM don't eat a lot of what I cook (unless it has sugar and chocolate in it and then they're 100% onboard).

I hope what they're learning and some day come to appreciate is the inherent worth in making food (mostly) from scratch.

And that love is the most important ingredient.

No comments: