Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Roasted kabocha squash soup


A couple of weeks ago I spotted some kabocha squash @ the Farmer's Market. I have been reading about how nutrient packed it is but had never run into it. So I scooped it up, headed home and google'd a recipe.

The first one I found was this one
It sounded right up my alley (coconut milk, carmelized onions, roasting the squash, yum!) so I decided not to overwhelm myself with an exhaustive search for the best recipe and went with this one.

O.
M.
G.

Winner winner. 
It's the super (I won't go there with 'souper') duperest. 
I think this is mainly due to the fact that kabocha squash is just incredibly delicious. 

Warning though. 
Sharpen your cleaver. 
This baby doesn't give like a butternut squash. 
It's gonna take some work to cut 'er open.
Pick a time when you're frustrated and need to vent some of that emotion. 
Don't worry though if you're all blissed out when you take on the task.
You'll find yourself extremely frustrated very quickly.
But, it's so worth it!

The first time I made it I added a dollop of plain yogurt and sunflower seeds to the top.
The second time I made goat cheese croutons:
cut goat cheese into rounds.
dip rounds in egg, then whole grain ground cornmeal.
freeze 30-60 minutes.
brown 1 minute each side in a tsp. of olive oil or butter.
plop on top of soup.
slurp in the delicious, nourishing, and nutritious bowl of goodness surrounded by the ones you love.♥

No comments: