Friday, October 12, 2012

Before and After: under the the kitchen sink

Want to know what I do when I have a mounting work load so intense that it practically gives me heart palpitations, disrupts my sleep, and leaves me with an all around on-edge feeling?

Think I get up before 5am, put on a pot of coffee, roll up the sleeves on my bathrobe and tackle the never ending grading that confronts me?

Huh-uh.

(Well, sometimes I do.)

A sane person would get their s*** together, grab their red pen, and get to it.

Not me.
I clean.

Today, inspired by this, I tackled the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

Here you go, as promised: 

The before...





And,
The After...


I ripped out the old contact paper and put a fresh coat down (something I bought 7 years ago when we moved in).


I bought a few bins @ IKEA and used one of them to organize the cleansers
and took the trash bags out of their giant Costco box and put them behind the newly cleaned trash can.


DO NOT underestimate how happy this can make you.

I keep going in the kitchen just to look at it.

Took ~30 minutes, tops. 
Probably 22.5 minutes.


While I was doing this I was thinking about when in my life I decided to be on the organized, neat side.

I was a slob as a child. 
I didn't care about order or cleanliness and my sister and I lived very happily in our pit stop bedroom.

I'm not entirely sure when it changed. 

I guess once I realized the world was a messed up place and I wanted to keep my little corner under some control.

Still thinking about that.

Anyway, once I cleaned under there I attacked a couple more drawers in the kitchen...


This is the: nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, cookie cutter, sprinkles, random baking stuff drawer.


Yikes!

With some more IKEA bins I organized all the sprinkles and cupcake wrappers in one bin and food colors and cupcake toppers and candles in another...





Voila!
A place, more or less, for everybody.


The bottom drawer is where I store onions, potatoes, shallots, garlic, ginger, brown bags and refrigerator magnets...

Now it looks like this...

I still have the mounting work load but despite the minimal progress I've made on it today, I do feel a lot better.


I just baked this lasagna and at this very moment am poaching some pears in a little apple juice, sugar, and butter.

Smells amazing in here.

Cleanliness leads to good things.

Happy organizing loved ones!

No comments: