Sunday, March 14, 2010

shamrock run ♣

9.375 miles. 


Yup, ran that this morning under a cold, but clear and dry sky. My only goal was to finish with a smile (and not a grimace or cursing) and I'm happy to report I did. Woo Hoo! 



We had a few things going for us this year that we didn't have last year: 1) It wasn't pouring rain, 2) OM got to stay home with a babysitter instead of standing in the pouring rain, and 3) my kick-ass playlist. Excuse the expletive but there is no other way to describe it. 

I won't go to the trouble of publishing it on iTunes b/c I know no one cares, but I will type it out here (seems like more work but it's really not; one of the best things I ever did was pay attention in typing class freshman year, I'm fast man):

Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai
Blue - Eiffel 65 (reminds me of Woody & Guatemala)
St. Teresa - Joan Osborne
Run (I'm a Natural Disaster) - Gnarles Barkley (goosebumps)
Fighter - C.Aguilera (super goosebumps; this year's Stronger for me)
Help I'm Alive - Metric
Uprising - Muse
I Will Live on Islands - Josh Rouse
Ni Un Centavo - Malacates Trebol
Stronger - Kanye West
Electric Feel - MGMT
Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire
For Nancy - Pete Yorn (I always picture yummy P.Yorn running in this video..keeps me going)
Le Disko - Shiny Toy Guns
Dracula Moon - Joan Osborne
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - Radiohead (check your pulse if this one doesn't get  you moving)
Dream On (Live) - Aerosmith 
Follow Me Down - 3OH!3 
That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings
Hold On - KT Tunstall
Play that Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Immortality - Pearl Jam (love this song..should have been placed higher on the list when I was half-way thru)
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
Da Funk - Daft Punk
Modern Girl - Sleater Kinney

It goes on but I didn't need the rest. Lots of familiar ones on there that I always like to run to and some groovy new ones to mix it up. I'm sure my lists could be even cooler if anyone, anyone would share their lists but, alas, no one has.

My sister told me her favorite running song is some Miley Cyrus song, and my bestie Season gave me a giftcard to iTunes to get more music, but I haven't heard a peep from anyone about what they run/exercise to.

To this, me & OM say:

whatever:


because we're nice we gave you a mean and a nice 'whatever' :)

Anyway, the run was great. At mile-marker 8 I was offered both a cup of water and a pint of beer (it was a St. Patty's Day celebration after all and you know those Irish folks:); which reminds me, have you seen the trailer for this movie [looks good!]:





BTW, we got our times and I finished in 1:36:09 (10.36 pace) and Woody did the 8k and finished in 37-ish minutes (7 minute-ish pace). I'm stoked. I'm slow but this course had a lot of uphill so I'm pleased I averaged out to what I normally run. And, my sister finished her half marathon (13 miles) in 1:57 (yes, she's faster:)...

4 comments:

Debi said...

K, you crack me up. So, I'll bite. I prefer to workout (at the gym) to Law & Order SVU. Not exactly what you were looking for, eh? But you already know that I'm anti-running. If I ran, my playlist would likely include Indigo Girls, Dixie Chicks, and Garth Brooks. And maybe some Miley Cyrus - Amelia is winning me over. :) Congrats on a great Shamrock run!

kristen said...

Thanks Debi! I should check out G.Brooks songs, I seem to remember some anthem-like tunes from high school. They didn't refer to our H.S. as El Crap (really El Capitan) for nothing: we had some serious country going on with all the agricultural-livestock-FFA folks.

Unknown said...

So- I feel I need to redeem myself here... Yes- I fully admit to listening to "The Climb" by Ms. Cyrus. In my defense, it's only on he reaaalllly hard part of the course when I totally feel like quitting. Otherwise... I have Kanye (Stronger and Gold Digger), Kings of Leon, lots of Black Eyed Peas, Rage against the Machine, Fisher and Dan Zanes- a nice ecletic mix. Good job on your run!

MercerGirl said...

go girl... great time. I did a mud run this weekend, so I'm fresh with the playlists. I don't have but one or two of the songs you have on your playlist..

I generally have tons of kings of leon, MGMT, Phoenix, Lady Gaga, Sublime (of course), tons of Thievery Corporation, TV on The Radio... hmm.... let me send you my real list.