Friday, September 28, 2012

Wellness


I'm teaching a new course this term about health and wellness. One of the first assignments the students complete is a wellness inventory. It's very long. Worth doing but if you're crunched for time try this tiny section today:

On the lines below, list four activities that you enjoy doing above anything else in your life.
1. ___________________________________________________________________
2. ___________________________________________________________________
3. ___________________________________________________________________
4. ___________________________________________________________________
Next, answer these questions:

5. I allow myself to experience the activity listed in 1 above:
a.yes/always/usually
b. often
c. sometimes/maybe
d. occasionally
e. no/never/hardly ever

6. I allow myself to experience the activity listed in 2 above:
a.yes/always/usually
b. often
c. sometimes/maybe
d. occasionally
e. no/never/hardly ever

7. I allow myself to experience the activity listed in 3 above:
a.yes/always/usually
b. often
c. sometimes/maybe
d. occasionally
e. no/never/hardly ever

8. I allow myself to experience the activity listed in 4 above:
a.yes/always/usually
b. often
c. sometimes/maybe
d. occasionally
e. no/never/hardly ever


This section has had a significant impact on me already. Two of the things I listed were hiking and live music. 

When I completed the section I answered "e" for both of them. So sad. So, I've been working on that. These photos are a reflection of our recent family hike. 

First family hike to be precise. 

We picked a perfect first hike for OM: a quick 2 mile loop filled with waterfalls, small caves, and bridges along the way, warm weather, and a creek bed to pass the time sitting by, eating snacks and throwing rocks and pebbles into, to determine whether or not they made a "ker-plump" sound and splash. Glorious.

























They told us over and over how much they liked hiking.
Yay!


And, the following videos are from two bands Woody and I went to see recently. Live music really is nourishment for the soul. I forgot how amazing it is to see musicians jam. 




To Wellness.

No comments: