Monday, August 10, 2009

tomatoes

the garden is bursting with tomatoes and owen is testing his belly to see how many he can eat before it screams mercy. we love it though. maya likes to pick them but not eat them.



so if your garden too is bursting with tomatoes or you have access to a farmer's market (fm) that sells tasty heirlooms here's what you need to make, tonight:) [luckily my friend Season sent me this recipe Friday night so I knew what to buy the next morning @ fm..I made the rest of the basil bunch I bought into pesto on Sunday and tossed it with some whole wheat shells, spicy italian sausage and goat cheese..yum! Owen actually screamed with delight when I told him we were having pasta with goat cheese, he loves goat cheese:)]

panzanella salad

1 loaf of sourdough, torn into small pieces
1 cucumber sliced
1/2 cup of good olive oil (we used less of this and the vinegar)
2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
1/2 cup of parsley (we omitted this)
4 large tomatoes diced
1/2 cup of red onion, chopped
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup of basil leaves, chopped
8 oz of preferably fresh mozzerella, cut into cubes

Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast in oven, turning frequently until brown, then set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Just before serving, add the bread cubes and toss well.

...those are season's notes in parentheses, to add further: I used a 1/4 cup total of olive oil and balsalmic vinegar, in equal portions and less garlic and less red onion and more basil. I kept thinking if my grandmother had joined us I would have needed to add a lot more red onion..I did not inherit the loving onion raw thing:)




easy riders...

owen is officially crazy for all things spiderman (if his spiderman underwear aren't washed and cleaned at all times there is heck to pay:) so long mickey...

baby sis and her dolphins. woody took them to a puppet show saturday morning that was in a toy store and let them each choose something from the dollar bin..M of course got a dolphin figurine and O a whale figurine.





No comments: