Sunday, June 5, 2011

party time


Somehow we are closing in on Owen's sixth birthday. 
(I try not to get too sentimental but I do love to think back on our early family days.)

So, we've begun to plan the bash. 
We're loosely going with a Mario-theme. 
So far it's going to go down exactly like the super hero party (per O's wishes) except they'll be lots of mushrooms instead of capes. 




Now, what to get Owen for his bday?

A classic wooden chess set might seem strange but our 5-almost-6-year-old plays chess every single day and loves it.

Woody bought him this little magnetic set from Powell's for Christmas. It's nice because it's portable, was cheap (in case interest waned quickly), and came with easy to follow instructions (for me, everyone else already knew how to play).

He takes it all over the house and outside.


When he's desperate he'll let Maya play with him...




But his favorite opponent is Woody.


So, if you're looking for a gift idea for O, there you go. It would be nice to have a proper, table-sized version for him.

I personally think a used one would be ideal. I saw a cute vintage one on etsy but it's also magnetic and small and while I think collecting a few of them would be fun, now that I'm almost unemployed the practical side of me took over and decided not to get it.

The coolest part of all of this is that my kid knows how to play chess. 
Well. 
All his buddies in kindergarten play it, everyday. I was always told chess was this really hard game that only brainaics could play so I assumed I wouldn't get it. 
I love that these kids look at chess like any other game on the "game cart" and have taken an extended interest in it. 
It is 1000% times more interesting than checkers. 
Who knew?

And these are some of Maya's action moves while Owen and Woody play chess...



1 comment:

carrie said...

Go O! Maisie was in chess club in 1st and 2nd grade. She quit because she didn't like being the only girl (and a nerd :). Maya has got some great moves; must be her crazy pants!