Friday, June 10, 2011

Change


As some of you know, I left my position @ the children's hospital and have now gained new employment @ Clark College in Vancouver, WA.

Woo Hoo!

I'll be teaching Health 100: Food and Your Health! I am so excited.

Course Description: (condensed):
Explore the connection between food choices and health with an emphasis on whole foods. Expand awareness around the impact of these choices from an individual, social and envirnomental perspecitve. Develop personalized healthy eating strategies.

Course Outcomes (also condensed):
Differentiate between a food, a nutrient, and an additive
Examine healthy eating guidelines
Interpret food labels
Explore mindful and sustainable eating practices
Cook a healthy dish

Check out the Required text:

I can't believe my good fortune. Remember all those pesky posts in the past about What to Eat and exercise...can't believe I'm going to get paid to pester other people about it. Sweet!
An added bonus is that the Health Department @ Clark is located inside the Fitness Department. Dream come true. I love being around people so interested in health and exercise and I'm hoping that some of the folks enrolled in the fitness trainer program will need bodies to practice on and I'll score some free personalized training.

On a related note, I checked out this beautiful blog today and am already figuring out how to add it to the class. Good stuff! I love how it shows exactly who is doing all the back-breaking work to get us our food. 
I'm reading Animal,Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and savoring every well-written word. I'm so drawn to this lifestyle..I can't stop reading about it.

In other change news:

my baby boy graduated from kindergarten yesterday!

It was an adorable celebration: the preschoolers joined the ceremony and walked out to the theme from Star Wars, followed by the k'gartners and their procession to Pomp and Circumstance. 
Then O's class sang Stand by Me
I get a giant lump in my throat just thinking about it. 

Way to go O! 
We're so proud of you.♥♥

(this is Tya, one of Owen's classmates. She loves Maya:)

No comments: