Monday, April 6, 2009

Cardboard Box...and more of you know what!




Okay, so first things first.  I was horribly mistaken when I last wrote that we were recovering. We were far from recovering!  Maya had another bout Saturday afternoon and Owen did last night.  Ugh!!  So, I took them to the doctor today.  They're fine.  Owen lost almost two pounds and is a tad dehydrated but other than that he's fine.  

Phew.  

I felt awful yesterday (and stayed in bed all day even tho it was glorious outside) but now I feel fantastic.  (Woody thinks you should never submit to illness but I guess I'm a wuss:) And it's in the 70's today so I get another shot at the sunshine.  Yahoo.

Oh, and OM have the best memory.  While we were waiting for Dr. Snyder, Maya was looking around and told me she needed a diaper change.  And then she said Mickey. And she said it a couple of times and I was trying to connect diaper change with watching Mickey Mouse club. Luckily Owen was there and he said, oh, baby sis wants a mickey diaper.  And then I remembered, the last time we were there I ran out of diapers and borrowed one that had mickey and minnie mouse on it.  Totally amazing!  


Now about that cardboard box!  Saturday evening I went to a lecture about Reggio Emilia (the approach to educating children that I'm digging) and included in the packet of materials was a cool brochure about the universal childhood appeal of cardboard boxes.  Ginger had a cardboard box set up for OM while in Willits that they LOVED and if I was good at articulating why (they loved it) I would have written the following (from the brochure):

"A large enough box can be a whole world of the child's scale and the child's making.  The child is Queen of this small kingdom of imagination.  Climbing in and climbing out, the child can experience the power of the body and the control inherent in her self-determination.

The cardboard box is seen as both a metaphor for and an opportunity to engage in the important work and fundamental play of childhood; realizing and cultivating one's potential to imagine and to transform, to be and to do, to be with and to be apart from, to possess and to share, to discover and to be discovered.

The box is an archetypal symbol of our intentions and values; to see the extraordinary in the ordinary, beauty in banality and to place imagination, creativity, and joy at the heart of any learning process.  It affords us the opportunity to revel in the complexity of the simplest materials, offering the children new experiences and possibilities for the interests they have shared with us."

Ginger had said she wanted to get a whole bunch of boxes so they'd have their own town but thought that might be over-doing it:)  The one box was perfect.

No comments: